Thursday, October 25, 2007

Disblief in Ultra Running

My disbelief is in how much I can really run. A lot has happened in the last year running-wise, since I ran the 35 miler. I still have major leg pain which increased, but I consider that to my advantage somewhat. While I am writing this I JUST heard about people who are tying their shoes for the first time to run the BOSTON! The BOSTON MARATHON! Can you imagine running the Boston for your second marathon! One of the five world class master races and also one of the fewer races in which you must qualify for. (This is why Boston can't be the first marathon you run). You really have to be fast to qualify too! 26.2 miles of fast to be exact.
If you hear more about the NOVA marathon special let me know, but probably I'll let you know, so come back soon.



I am in disbelief as to how these men and women who have never run before, train for one of the worlds top races. My disbelief in what I am have been able to accomplish through running has empowered me to strive for a lifetime goal of running the 100 mile Western States, arugubly one of the toughest races in the world. After that I plan to run the 50 mile Comrades Marathon and then the 135 mile Badwater UltraMarathon.

From their own website:
The trail ascends from the Squaw Valley floor (elevation 6,200 feet) to Emigrant Pass (elevation 8,750 feet), a climb of 2,550 vertical feet in the first 4½ miles. From the pass, following the original trails used by the gold and silver miners of the 1850’s, runners travel west, climbing another 15,540 feet and descending 22,970 feet before reaching Auburn.

Auburn -- Endurance Capital

WSER is one of the key events that have helped Auburn, CA, earn the title of
"Endurance Capital of the World."

Most of the trail passes through remote and rugged territory, accessible only to hikers, horses and helicopters.

By the way, I forgot to mention you have to finish the race in less then 1 day to qualify for the belt. 100 miles in one day. Yeah, thats all you get for finishing. A big belt buckle. Dean Karnasas has nine of those buckles. I ran my first half marathon with the incredible runner.

Sign up for '08 Here: http://www.ws100.com/appform.htm

How to Qualify: http://ws100.com/qualifying.htm
Including the 11 hour 50 miler requirement.

Encourage me to have more disbelief when I see you on the starting line along with me. See you soon.

1 comment:

little wing writer said...

i just walked a half marathon...made me realize i have plenty more training to do if i want to run it...the best to you on your run